Monday, February 27, 2012

The Title is the Hardest Part.


Wolverine is such an over played character that when I decided to get into comics part of me wanted to avoid him altogether. I mean, avoid him as best as a person can while still reading anything by Marvel comics.

I failed in that as I am reading and loving Wolverine and the X-Men, which is best described as Harry Potter & the Wolverine & the X-Men. Also helps that I love the art for the first four issues, done by the talented Chris Bachalo. Long story short, Snicktbub opens up the Jean Gray School For Higher Learning and gets to play headmaster to some mutant kids. Harry, in this instant, is a pink haired omega-level wannabe anarchist mutant by the name of Kid Omega.

There is, of course, a lead up to all this that I have not read. I'd like to, but here is where we enter my problem with Western comics. If I jump back to find how they got there I'll have to go back further to find how they got to that point only to be curious how that happened and... well, I'll be reading X-Men #1, having gone entirely in reverse.

That may be a bit of a dramatization but the fact stands that there is a lot of mythology in western comics and I want all of it. I read the high lights on Wikipedia and friends what they know and remember. Their war stories of Spider-Man and Huntress and other heroes and heroines. Sadly, though, the prophet who used to fill me in is now much further away and only so much information can comfortably be transferred via text message while wasting time at work. Listening to him tell stores about comic book heroes and JRPGs I never had the time or patients to dive into myself was like a child laying on the floor engaged in his grandfather's tales of slaughtering Nazis for Uncle Sam. I miss those times.

By the way, I drew that Wolverine in Swapnote on my 3DS. Mr. Marvel comics, I await your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment